Zain Javadd “Zayn” Malik ; born 12 January 1993), recording mononymously as Zayn, is an English singer and songwriter. Born and raised in Bradford, West Yorkshire, Malik auditioned as a solo artist for the British music competition The X Factor in 2010. After being eliminated as a solo performer, Malik was brought back into the competition, along with four other contestants, to form the boy band that would become known as One Direction. Malik split from the group in March 2015 and signed a solo recording contract with RCA Records.
Adopting a more alternative R&B music style with his debut studio album Mind of Mine(2016) and its lead single, “Pillowtalk”, Malik became the first British male artist to debut at number one in both the UK and US with a debut single and debut album. Malik is the recipient of several accolades, including an American Music Award, Billboard Music Award and MTV Video Music Award.
How Zayn Malik started
In 2010, 17-year-old Malik auditioned in Manchester for the seventh series of reality-television competition The X Factor, but he actually started entertaining five years ago. He sang “Let Me Love You” by Mario as his audition song and was accepted into the next round. Upon auditioning for The X Factor, Malik stated that he was “looking for an experience”. He was eliminated before the final round of the competition, but judges Nicole Scherzinger and Simon Cowell grouped him with fellow competitors Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson to form a new act for the remainder of the show, the boy band that would become known as One Direction. The group quickly gained popularity in the UK, finished in third place, and were subsequently signed by Cowell to a reported £2 million Syco Records record contract. They subsequently signed in North America with Columbia Records.
Source : www.zimbio.com
BIG FACTS ABOUT ZAYN
- Does Zayn Malik smoke? * Yes
- Does Zayn Malik drink alcohol? *Yes
- The word Zayn comes from Arabic origin and means beautiful and Malik means king.
- Zayn was a contestant in the music competition X-Factor, where he was called back after being eliminated as a solo artist. There were four other eliminations that were brought back and Zayn, Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson formed the band One Direction.
- Zayn left the band in March 2015 and signed up a contract with RCA Records and released his solo album Life of Mine on 25 March 2016.
- He is the first British artist who made a debut topping both the US and UK charts. PillowTalk was the number one song in several countries.
- Zayn sang on stage for the first time when singer Jay Sean visited his school. He used to write rap in school and did boxing for two years.
- He said that he left the band due to creative differences. His style is more of an R&B singer, where as the band produces mainly Pop Rock style.
- Besides R&B, Zayn experiments with electro R&B, hip-hop, neo-soul, reggae and Qawalli Ghazal genres too and has included all of these in his songs.
- Malik has a Tenor voice with great versatility and is known for his belting notes and falsetto. He was the strongest vocalist in the One Direction band.
- He ranked 27 on Glamour‘s “World’s Sexiest Men” list in 2011 and British GQ‘s best-dressed male in 2014.
- Zayn surpassed One direction at number 2 and Justin Bieber at number one to take over the top position on Billboard 100.
- He is emotional and empathetic and cries while watching emotional movies.
- His total amount of solo time in the album Up All Night amounted to only 5 minutes and 38 secs.
- Zayn is not comfortable facing the camera and tends to be nervous at times.
- When Zayn was younger, he was afraid that no girl would fall in love with him.
- He applied for the X-Factor in 2009 too but did not show up as he was too nervous.
- Zayn was in the school choir.
- He has a man crush on Justin Timberlake and fancies Megan Foxout of her pants.
- Zayn once made a New year’s resolution to quit cigarettes, as he is addicted to it and wants to quit desperately.
- If Zayn wasn’t an artist, he would have liked to be an English teacher.
- He gets tired of stays in hotels and doesn’t like to stay inside when there are so many beautiful things to see in the world. He also sneaked out of a hotel with Louis once and got lost in Sydney.